We go to the library at least once every week, during good weather. The boys love it. I love it. My problem is that once I start reading a book, it pretty much takes over my life until I finish reading it. Which sometimes is awesome. When it's nap time or in the evening when David is busy studying and the dishes are done, I LOVE to get into it and get taken away somewhere else. It would be ideal if those were the only times I read. However, when I have a book with an especially intriguing plot or character, I steal mere moments to read it: the kids are playing so nicely, I don't have to start dinner for 15 more minutes, the dryer will buzz one more time before it's really done. Sometimes it's pathetic and I realize it while I'm doing it. Then I think it will be over when I'm done with this book....then it's time to return the books to the library again.
I do love the escape. I love getting caught up in it and thinking and wondering throughout the pages, trying to figure out what happens next. I love to learn new things, think about different ideas. Books are blessings. The prophet said we should read out of the best books!
I also realize that it does take over my life, to a certain degree. It's what I think about and what I look forward to, diving back in as soon as I get a chance. I think the key is self control. I have to be able to put it down at any time and tend to things that need to be done. If I treat it like a reward to be had AFTER everything is done, it works out much better. There have also been times when we go to the library that I don't even look, because I know I don't have any extra time to read. My life seems to go in phases. Sometimes I'm so busy, I feel almost in over my head and sometimes I wish I had gotten that book because it sure would come in handy right now.
All in all, I love to read stories. But after the book is read, my own life story is the most important. It is the most romantic, the most adventurous, the most fulfilling and the most satisfying of all.
May 2026
2 months ago

7 comments:
You and my neighbor are so much alike. She loves to read and is always going to the library to get new books. I unfortunately have never caught the reading bug, unless it is a REALLY good book and then I can't put it down until it's done (even if that's all I do for days).
Jana, I am excited to read your blog and see the pictures of your cute little boys!! They are darling. This such a wonderful way to keep in touch when you live so far away. Your Nauvoo video is awesome too! Thanks for sharing,
Cindy (your cousin)
Jana, will you send me your email address? Mine is, flake7@cox.net
Thanks,
Cindy
I know exactly how you feel... When the last Harry Potter book came out I think Adalyn was the most neglected 11-month-old ever... okay not really but it was bad. I am not so good at the self-control; books are addicting! My little sister used to call me a "readaholic" and she'd get so mad when I was more interested in my book than in playing with her.
Jana,
Its Katie (Madsen) Weber. I can't believe that I found your blog. This is so fun! I can't believe how much your boys look like Levies. They are so cute. We are not too far from you guys in Toledo OH.
So what books do you love? I just finished Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, which I loved, and Twilight, which I loved as well. I would love to hear your recommendations.
Katie
5webers.blogspot.com
Jana,
I read Goose Girl and Loved it! Such a fun easy read, and exciting too. We actually knew you were in Michigan, and we'll move to Ann Arbor in June. Mel thought we should buy your house from you, but I think it would end up being shorter to commute from Toledo, which we don't want to do :) Good to hear from you, and let us know when your back up this way.
Katie
I have the same curse! I have decided that I only get to read if I am on vacation or in a waiting room. Otherwise, I don't get anything done until the last page is finished!
Post a Comment