Friday, April 11, 2008

What motivates you to exercise?

I remember asking my sisters-in-law that years ago. They are so good at being consistent and they always look good.(duh.) They both replied that they love the shower afterwards and it feels good to be done. As I have gone in and out of my exercise intensity phases, I have often pondered that question. And the answer changes. Sometimes it was to be in good pregnancy shape, to lose baby pounds, to look good in the summertime in my swim suit, to keep fitting in my clothes. I came to another conclusion yesterday. My current motivation to exercise is because I like to eat the food I want.
I love my body shape when I'm working out regularly, it feels great, and I enjoy my workouts and push myself a lot. My un-working out body is fine too, I weigh about the same but I have less muscle definition, I get out of breath more often and to stay the same size I have to be careful of what I eat. So I've realized, and maybe this is just from aging a little bit, too, that if I want to eat anything I want and still look good, and fit into my clothes the way I like it, I have to workout.
I know I need to, and I'm not happy about it. But I'm getting back into my groove anyway!

5 comments:

mommy said...

Good for you Jana! I think I'll start exercising again next year sometime...

Melanie said...

What motivates me to exercise... let me ponder on that and get back to you. Now that the babies are sleeping, I'm going to hit it hard - but first we're going to Havasu, and what happens in Havasu stays in Havasu! =) I love you, Jana and I'm so proud of you!!!! You look awesome, by the way =) Love, mel

Melissa H said...

Amen! I agree to everything, Vince and I have just started lifting weights again together and I think that is the most fun excercise ever! Of course I have to still get the cardio somehow.

Skeeutopia said...

I find that it swings one way or the other for me. If I want to indulge in the calorie dept, I exercise very well (and I have the energy, too); when I eat only what I need, I feel not so motivated to move extra hard (i.e. exercise). So much for being a supermodel...

Summer said...

I am in the same boat as you. I have to workout or my body shows it. I find that age is starting to play a role. I'm a regular exercising and I think my motivation is...I don't want to see my body with exercise!!